Somerset Waste Partnership
Monday 11 May: Recycling sites reopen, garden waste collections restart
Eleven recycling sites will reopen on Monday 11 May for essential visits only – in line with updated government guidance – and garden waste collections (see below) will resume from the same day.
To ensure social distancing, protect public and staff and limit numbers, there will be a range of temporary restrictions; queues and delays are likely.
Government guidance states visits should only take place if waste cannot be stored safely at home without risking harm or ill-health, or harm to public health and amenity. If not an essential journey, please wait until sites are back to usual.
Recycling sites open from 11 May: Bridgwater, Chard, Dulverton, Frome, Highbridge, Street, Taunton, Wellington, Wells, Williton and Yeovil.
The other five sites are due to reopen from Tuesday 26 May.
All 11 will be open six days a week:
* 9am-6pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays
* 9am-4pm Saturdays and Sundays
* all closed Thursdays
Access is “one in, one out”, an odd/even number plate system will be used:
* Odd numbers (eg ABC61) only Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays
* Even numbers (eg XYZ52) only Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays
Other restrictions include:
* Maximum two people per household
* No people with COVID-19 symptoms, or who have been asked to shield
* No large vans (3.5 tonne or heavier)
* No trailers
* Gloves to be worn outside vehicles
Only these materials will be taken:
* Refuse usually put in your rubbish bin, and bulky items, such as furniture
* Garden waste
* Large electrical items, such as cookers, fridges, TVs etc
* Hazardous chemicals, such as those from garden sheds or garages
Not taken until further notice:
* Anything involving payment, such as charged-for hardcore, soil, tyres, gas bottles or vehicle parts (compost will not be available to buy)
* Commercial waste
* Asbestos or plasterboard
Please do not take, unless essential (as it will be landfilled):
* Anything usually recycled kerbside – food, cardboard, paper, cans, glass etc
* Wood, metals, small electrical items
* Plastic pots, tubs, trays, Tetra Paks and other beverage cartons
Find links here for queue cams to check traffic waiting at Bridgwater, Chard, Taunton and Yeovil: https://www.somersetwaste.gov.uk/recycling-centre-queue-ca…/
Garden waste collections restart Monday 11 May
Collection of garden waste restarts from Monday 11 May. Subscriptions for 2020-21 will run until mid-May 2021.
Many subscribers’ collection day and dates have changed. It’s important that people reread the letter that came with their bin sticker or check this via the My Collection Day button at www.somersetwaste.gov.uk
Collections will only be made from 2020-21 subscribers using bins with lids closed and the correct year sticker, or in paid-for garden waste bags.
Not collected: garden waste not in official bins or sacks, non-subscribers, bins with the wrong or no sticker, bins with excess weight (if necessary, remove some material for next collection).